Home Image Map

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wisdom for Wednesday - Moods



Thanks for stopping by today! I absolutely love this quote (and the explanation for it). Take a look:


How many of you know a moody person? 

You know what I mean...the kind of person you "hope" to catch on a good day. The kind of person that one day greets you warmly as you pass in the hall and the very next day ignores you completely (even if you said hello) and leaves you wondering what you did wrong.

I could, of course, spend this entire post directing this quote to those people, but instead I decided to take a look at myself (and my own moods).

I do not consider myself a moody person, but I know that there are times when I let tiredness and stress take over and dampen my normal cheery self. 

Here's what else Oswald Chambers has to say about moods and why we must not pray about them (my thoughts in parenthesis):

"Moods never go by praying, moods go by kicking (can't you just see kicking that bad mood to the curb?). A mood nearly always has its seat in the physical condition (for me being tired and stressed), not in the moral. We have to take ourselves by the scruff of the neck and shake ourselves (oh, I love the way they spoke and wrote back then)..."

That really is what it takes to straighten out our moods. We have to make a choice--to kick that bad mood, shake ourselves, and get over it. 

Why? 

Because our moods should never determine how we treat others. 

Too often we make all kinds of excuses for our mistreatment of others stemming from our bad moods. 
"It's my time of the month."
"I'm not a morning person (or night owl)."
"I didn't sleep well."
"I'm under a lot of stress."

I even recently read a post on Facebook about how we need to let our kids have these bad moods, bad days, and resulting tantrums or disrespectful attitudes because it is normal and acceptable for us as adults to behave this way. Why should we expect more from our kids?

Um...NO! 

It may be natural to behave badly when in a "bad mood," but it is most certainly not right!

We all need to set a better example for the children in our lives by choosing not to let our moods determine our behavior and treatment of others. 

We need to kick those bad moods to the curb and maybe even give ourselves a shake to snap out of it! 

Who's with me?



2 comments:

  1. I was in one of these moods last night. I told myself to get over it. This morning, I'm over it.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job, Tammy! Just kick it to the curb, I say! :-)

      Crystal

      Delete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.