Home Image Map

Friday, August 8, 2014

A Triple Scoop of Second Grade (with freebies)!

Who doesn't love ice cream? Especially a triple scoop! Hee hee...



Some of my second grade bloggy friends and I have a "treat" for you today, and it is going to be "sweet!" 

Each blogger is highlighting three of their favorite activities they use in their classrooms.



My first scoop is a FREEBIE! You will definitely want to snatch it up if you use math timed tests or a similar fact practice in your room. 

Last year was my first year using sticker charts to let the kids track their progress, and they loved it! I made these this summer so I could see at a glance which facts the kids were working on (without having to check my records). There are charts for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division!

You can read more about how I use the sticker charts here.

Click the picture to snag this freebie!



For the next scoop, I'm highlighting our Second Grade Super Sight Words Pack

I use my sight word packs (and yes, I use more than second grade--either the lower levels for my lower readers or the third grade pack to challenge my higher readers) in a couple different ways. 

First I use the checklist included and test the kiddos. If they don't know the words in a snap (about 3 seconds or less), the word card goes on a ring in a baggie with their name. Students practice these words with me or a para every few days (ideally!).


The checklists are then placed in what I call fluency folders. You can read more about those here.


The words they struggled with are then checked each week to see if they are mastered. If so, they come out of the baggie.

The word work pages make great handwriting practice! 

We also like to play the games included in the pack--I Have...Who Has...? and Bang! :-)

While I think these packs are a steal at $5.00 (our I Have...Who Has...? games are $2.00 each by themselves), I decided to give you an even better deal on them during the blog hop. 

All our sight word packs will be marked down to $3.00 for this weekend only!

And if you decide to purchase a pack AND leave feedback, I'll send you a freebie from our store.
To get your freebie, you will need to:
1. Purchase a sight word pack.
2. Leave feedback.
3. Come back over here e-mail me (use the icon in the upper right corner) with your TPT user name.
4. Wait for your surprise freebie! :-)



The third scoop comes from Bex at Reading and Writing Redhead. I was so excited when I found this product, let me tell you! I've mentioned that I (okay, my son and daughter) have been hard at work on making samples of the Interactive Notebooks that I had purchased. I really wanted a 'complete' notebook for reading and language arts. The one I purchased was just for reading, so I was scrambling to find some things for grammar. Then I saw this from Bex...yes, please!

Click the picture to check it out in her store!
I got this thinking it would be exactly what I needed for the grammar part of my notebook--and it was. But I didn't realize the writing lessons/pages would be my favorite part of the pack! They are amazing! 

Check out a few pages I've already done in my notebook:



The pack starts with Lesson One: Nouns, but you can see I jumped right into sentences (because that is where I start in my reading series). I just know my kiddos are going to love this!

Here's a couple pictures of more pages (including some of the awesome writing ones):



If you're in the market for a complete language arts notebook, you will not be disappointed with this one from Bex!

Thanks for stopping by for a triple scoop! Don't forget to check out all the other bloggers to see more great activities geared toward 2nd grade!




1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Thanks for sharing about my Second Grade Interactive Notebook for Language Arts! You are so sweet! I originally made it for the writing portion but decided it wouldn't be complete without all the other parts that are building blocks for writing success. Hope your week is going well!
    Bex
    Reading and Writing Redhead

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.