Home Image Map

Monday, March 17, 2014

Charting Data = Student Motivation

Hi there! I'm still enjoying my spring break...headed to visit friends today. :-)
 
I thought I'd pop in to share something that has really sparked some fire in my readers.

Several weeks ago, I wanted to find a way for my kiddos to chart their own WCPM. I usually entered their data in an Excel spreadsheet which created a bar graph, but I knew the kids would benefit from seeing their chart more. I found this handy FREEBIE from A Peach for the Teach. It is a cold read/hot read fluency graph.
 
With the help of my awesome para, we have created a system that works wonderfully. Each kiddo has a folder with their name. The cold read/hot read graph is stapled on one side of the folder. For my struggling readers, I also included the sight word checklists from our Super Sight Word Packs on the other side of the folder. My para pulls the kiddos on Thursday or Friday of each week. They review the sight words (if needed) and then read their hot read (the one they have been practicing for the week) and the new cold read. The kids are practically crawling over the table to see how they have improved! Yippee!


 
 
I had a good time in Kansas City watching my Jayhawks... The loss on Friday was so sad I had to visit the Cheesecake Factory to make me feel better. Ha! No, really it is just awesome to watch games live and we had a great time with friends.
 
 
We also decided that we are horrible at taking selfies... :-/


Have a great day!




1 comment:

  1. I just happened across this post and was so excited to see how you used my freebie! What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Brandi
    A Peach for the Teach

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.