Home Image Map

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Visualizing in Reading

This week we worked on visualizing in reading and I read the kids a big book story of The Three Little Pigs.  Although, this version had a little different ending to it than the usual story.  We talked about visualizing while reading and as I read the story to the kids, we stopped and visualized what I had read to them.  I didn't show them any of the illustrations.  At the end of the story, I had them draw one part of the story that they visualized in their head.  They did a great job with it and here is what some of them came up with:




I loved this activity because it worked not just on visualizing but it also worked on listening skills.  The kids had fun with it and they all were able to draw a picture that had something to do with what I read to them.  This is something that I think I will try to incorporate more often in reading instead of just doing it when I am teaching visualizing. 

Enjoy your week!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun activity! I bet the kids enjoyed comparing their pictures to illustrator's pictures. I did an activity like this with my small group last week....

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.