Home Image Map

Saturday, April 6, 2013

The things we do......

 
This week in reading we were working on the ou/ow sound.  I pretended that I hurt my hand and kept saying "OU that hurt."  Then I put a band aid on that had the ou and ow written on it.  The kids thought this was hilarious (they knew that I didn't really hurt my hand)!  They played along with it and one even asked me if I thought I would need to go to the doctor LOL!   





I wore the band aid all day long and had to pretend now and then that it hurt and would have to say "OU"!  At the end of the day, one kiddo said to me,  "I will never forget what ou/ow sounds like again....because I will remember your ouchy!"  :-)  That right there made wearing that band aid and making a few "OU" sounds throughout the day worth it!  As teachers, I think we all do whatever it takes to help those kiddos learn and understand concepts.  The next day many asked me how my hand was doing and if it felt better (how sweet!).  :-)

I found this really neat idea from Fun in First Grade while looking on pinterest (unfortunately I found it after I had done the ou/ow sound this week).  So, I will definitely use it next year! 
 

 
Next week, we are working on the oi/oy sounds.......anyone have a special way to teach these sounds (would love to hear your ideas)? 
 
Hope you have a great weekend!  Kristi
 



4 comments:

  1. Gotta love the ou/ow chunk. All it takes is a polite little pinch when a reader is stuck on that chunk in a word and they know exactly what to say. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, wish all of those sounds had little tricks like that! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love that idea!!! I wish my 5/6th graders would appreciate that.....I am pretty sure they would look at me weird. haha :)

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yeah, it may be harder to convince the older ones. :-)

      Delete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.